Benni McCathy first official game in charge proved to be a success as Cape Town City ran out winners in a game played in a rather slow tempo in Cape Town stadium against Polokwane City. The MTN 8 quarter final game provided Benni with an opportunity to assess his team after preseason and would have given him an opportunity to see some of the new signings in action.

The game was marred by the absence of Teko Modise who pulled up in training the day before the game with a muscle strain. Teko then pulled up during the warm having been originally pipped to start the game and thus was not involved in the game.


McCarthy set up his troops to play counter attacking football in a game that saw the likes of Lehlohonolo Majoro, who was later substituted, getting countless opportunities to put the game to bed leaving the crowd frustrated with his wastefulness.

The only goal of the game came from an own goal from Polokwane City defender Sibusiso Mbonani when he miss controlled a header from a ball which was lobbed into the box. The player would have been disappointed with his effort as there was little pressure on him when he made the error.

The game referee, Daniel Bennett had a shocker of a game highlighted by the two legitimate opportunities to score that Cape Town City were denied both in the first and the second half. One was a clear hand ball when a Polokwane City player dived goalkeeper style right in front of the referee, saving the ball using his hands, which should have been a clear penalty.

Cape Town City had 12 shots on goal and 6 of them were on target verses Polokwane City’s 9 shots on goal with 3 on target. Cape Town City look dangerous on the counter attack and solid in defense and should be right up there challenging for trophies this season. With players in the mold of Manyama and Teko still to come into the fold they should improve on today’s performance.

The game ended 1-0 to Cape Town City and Benni having been the most decorated striker in South African football history in his past time will have to work on his teams finishing.

“We are work in progress and the signs are there that the boys can play. We got a first win, Polokwane didn’t just come here to fill the numbers, they came here to play and they are a very dangerous team but am very proud and privileged to be part of this team. The boys went out there and played for me so I couldn’t have asked any more from them so I am really happy.” Said McCarthy

Cape Town City will now play Bidvest Wits next Friday 18 August 2017. Wits had earlier beaten Golden Arrows 4 -3 on penalties after the game ended in a 2-2 draw. Wits striker James Keene scoring a brace in the game.